High School General Information

High School General Information

General Information


Seton Home Study School, a Catholic school located in the Diocese of Arlington, is accredited by the AdvancED Worldwide Accreditation Commission. Seton is a member of the Virginia Council for Private Education.

Counseling Services

Qualified teachers are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (and sometimes on evenings and Saturdays) Eastern Standard Time. Seton counselors can help you with questions about your studies as well as help you to plan your courses. A counselor is as close as your telephone, fax machine, Internet message board, or e-mail. With Seton, you are never alone. We are with you every day, every step of the way.

Guidance Counselors

Guidance counseling is available for all high school students. However, it is not always necessary to speak to a counselor to select the proper curriculum. You may request a counseling call when you apply for admission if you have questions or concerns. Seton will initiate a counselor call when test scores indicate the necessity, or when courses requested on the application are out of sequence.

Students Enrolled before 2014

In recent years, Virginia and several other states have modified requirements needed to earn a high school diploma. Students who entered high school prior to 2014 are not required to meet the new standards. They may obtain a high school diploma under the old requirements.

Diploma Requirements

Subject Credit Requirements

The Seton Diploma

Seton Home Study School grants three accredited diplomas. Two diplomas are preparatory for college: the Academic Diploma and the Advanced Academic Diploma. The third, a General Diploma, is designed for students who are not planning to apply to a four-year college. These options are in line with most high schools in the United States.

Differences of Diplomas

College bound students are strongly advised to work towards the Academic or Advanced Academic Diplomas. Today’s colleges are looking for high school graduates who have completed a strong academic high school curriculum.

Non-Diploma Students

If you are enrolling only for supplemental courses, or do not intend to receive a diploma through Seton, please let us know at the time of enrollment. You can change your status at anytime by speaking to a high school counselor.

College Application Tip

Based on accreditation requirements, Seton aligns our diploma options as closely as possible to the standards expected by the Commonwealth of Virginia. For college application purposes, remember to check with the colleges you may be interested in attending, as their requirements for admission may vary. Please contact the Guidance Department should you have any questions.


Admission Requirements

For admission to the high school diploma program, Seton requires the following:

  • completing Seton assessment tests, and
  • a transcript of any previous high school courses.

A copy of previous report cards showing high school courses and grades earned should be sent to Seton with the application. This will help to determine courses needed, and will suffice until the previous school sends the official transcript.

Included with your Enrollment

Upon enrollment you will receive:

  • Dr. Mary Kay Clark’s book, Catholic Homeschooling: A Handbook for Parents
  • Access to online study skills course
  • Transcript release form
  • Placement Testing

All new students entering high school must complete a composition placement test as well as a Seton Assessment Test which covers multiple subject areas, including English and Math.

If you wish to take a Spanish course above Spanish 1, there is a Spanish Placement Test that you should request. When we receive the completed placement tests, we will have them scored and evaluated within a few days.

Your curriculum will be shipped as soon as placement tests and transcripts are evaluated. You may request a future delivery date to accomodate specific situations during summer enrollment months.

Official Transcripts with Application

Students transferring into Seton are required to submit a transcript of previous high school courses. This helps the counselors determine the proper courses needed for graduation. If you do not have an official transcript, a report card or homeschool transcript will suffice.

At the time of enrollment, transcripts can be e-mailed to transcripts@setonhome.org or faxed to 540-322-2311.

Religion Credits Required

As a Catholic school in the Diocese of Arlington, we require students who are enrolled full-time to enroll in one religion course during each year they attend Seton.


Transferring Outside Credits to Seton

Seton generally accepts transfer credits from other schools, though not all credits apply towards graduation requirements. A high school counselor will evaluate submitted transcripts to determine which courses will transfer. Questions about high school transcripts and transfer credits can be directed to the Guidance Department at (540) 636-2238.

Transfer of Credits from Seton

Since Seton is an accredited school, your school should accept our credits. However, it is up to you to seek approval from your high school.

Credits Needed for Transfer Students

To comply with our accreditation requirements, students must take at least 25% of Seton’s required credits to receive a diploma, regardless of the amount of credits earned from other schools. This would be a minimum 5.5 credits for the Academic and General diplomas, and 6.5 for the Advanced Academic Diploma.

Beginning Mid-year

Students may enroll at any time of the year. We accept half-credits, but we do not accept one-quarter credits. Students with only one quarter of work will need to start at the beginning of the Seton course. Contact the Guidance Counselor to help you determine which courses are acceptable.

Obtaining Transcripts

Requests for Seton high school transcripts should be made through the online transcript request form under the RESOURCES section of your MySeton account. Official transcripts cost $7.00 each. Transcripts will be sent within 5 business days of your request, but please give us 10 business days notice.

Dual Enrollment

Seton accepts dual enrollment credits from community colleges. As with all transfer credits, there are some courses which may not apply towards the graduation requirements. Contact the Guidance Counselor to help you determine which courses are acceptable.

ACT and SAT Tests

Please contact the college of your choice, in your sophomore or junior year of high school if possible, to determine which test they require.

Seton’s high school guidance counselors can help you with any questions you have about college, vocational schools, technical schools, and military enlistment.

The major testing companies, such as those that administer the ACT and SAT, also maintain websites which can help you.

Please use Seton’s CEEB code when registering for either tests. Contact the guidance department to obtain the code.

SAT website: www.collegeboard.org

ACT website: www.act.org

Special Services

A child with learning difficulties or attention problems may need some modification to a standard curriculum. Sometimes these can be minor adaptations, such as presenting lessons orally. Sometimes a different book format may be required.

An individualized curriculum which works with the student’s strengths in order to develop the weaker areas is the best teaching approach for a student with learning difficulties.

For more information, contact the special services department via email at ssdept@setonhome.org or by phone at 540-622-5546.